Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Random Interlude

I stumbled upon this amazing image the other day.

CHEMICAL WARFARE IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY
CHEMICAL WARFARE IN THE TWENTIETH CENTURY© IWM (D 648)

Here we see a nurse at the Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital in London in 1940 fitting a baby with a gas mask during a Chemical Warfare drill. Note the bellows arrangement on the side.

Despite many lectures frightening the public about the dangers of phosgene and mustard gas, those threats never materialised during World War II.

Enough damage was done with plain old bullets, shrapnel and infection.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, look at the poor wee thing, all enveloped by that... device. I can only imagine how terrifying that whole era was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel absolutely compelled to caption this photo, "Are you my mummy?"

    my apologies to anyone who does not watch Dr Who

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Tell me more!